Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What was wrong with my bike...

As I mentioned, my bike is finally functional, but it still needs a new derailleur (yes, another new derailleur, since the one on my bike is for seven gears instead of eight, and I still get a chain rub in the highest gears). I asked this mechanic if I could video his explanation of the problem, and he said exactly what three previous mechanics said. What I can't believe is that a company with the reputation of Bike Friday would rig such a catch-me-fuck-me front shifting solution, where the cable was torqued wrong against the derailleur from the get-go. What were they thinking? A couple hundred pounds and dozens of lost hours -- Bike Friday, are you listening? The new chain ring is steel -- heavier to be sure, but at least it doesn't bend every time I fold it and pack it.

3 comments:

  1. we might be listening, but i don't think we know who you are. email a link of this to service@bikefriday.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thinking making a video explanation. you must send this to Bike Friday, along with all your bills!

    that was a MASSIVE jump between gears. how did they ever expect that to work?

    hope you make it smoothly to aberdeen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, bikefridaywalter, check with your service department. I already mailed them the link when I posted the video here.

    ReplyDelete