Friday, July 3, 2009

Island adventure

This morning I awoke to relatively clear skies and was able to dry and pack my tent. At the moment I am in the lounge of the ferry waiting for it to depart. The lounge is also occupied by a large tour group of deaf people of all ages, who are exceedingly loud. After living in Tucson, which has a very large deaf population, I found this surprising, since the deaf Americans I know seem to vocalize far less than they sign. This group, however, is cackling, grunting, chirping, croaking, clapping, and moaning in a conversation that clearly makes sense to them, but is just as clearly setting the teeth of all the hearing folk on edge because it violates our social taboos about appropriate noises sane adults are supposed to make in public. There is a moral to be drawn from this, I am sure, he only I could summon the concentration to uncover it.

No comments:

Post a Comment